Thursday, October 15, 2015

Punctuation, Part 1

Part of the revising process is polishing syntax and punctuation.  Here, I explore three different types of punctuation and how they should be correctly used: unnecessary commas, quotation marks, and other punctuation.

Ossanna, Lia. "Screenshot of 'comma' definition." 10/15/15 via
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&
espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=define%20comma&es_th=1

For the most part, I am already familiar with most of the instances the Unnecessary Commas section explained.  I already know the practice of not inserting a comma that will separate a verb from its subject or object, and how to use commas correctly in the context of lists.  However, it was good for me to learn that I shouldn't put a comma between dependent clauses, or a comma that will change the meaning of the sentence.  Usually I go with what feels natural in a speaking pattern, but that doesn't always apply to writing, because it can actually be awkward or incorrect.  Understanding these rules with their specific parameters clears up when to use a comma in each situation.  I should examine a sentence and see how the meaning is changed, or if there is a dependent clause before inserting a comma.

Again, a lot of the quotation conventions I already knew, but there were a few that were good for me to review, and a few that clarified things I didn't know.  For example, I wasn't aware that quotations shouldn't be used around slang or to justify humor.  For me, that kind of emphasis on those words seemed natural and acceptable.  It was also helpful to review how to introduce quotes, especially blended quotes, because sometimes making the transition into the quote is awkward.

I wasn't sure what the difference between using parentheses or colons were as opposed to a dash.  Dashes that offset a list emphasize what's inside the list, whereas parentheses are for minor details or supplements.  It's also good to know that colons are more formal than dashes.  I think I sort of realized this without knowing, because previously I used to use dashes more, but I noticed that they weren't as common in textbooks or academic writing, so I started using colons to introduce lists.


REFLECTION

In the drafts I looked at, most of them had the proper punctuation conventions that I reviewed for this post.  We seem to understand how to properly use punctuation within quotes, which is good.  However,  Zayla had a tendency to use double quotes inside double quotes, instead of using the single quote, which I noted.  For example, here is a quote she used in her draft:

Although the economy for the country is beginning to open a bit the writer does not forget to add an unforgettable quote “ [Mr Kim, the textile manager] has no qualms about making pants to be worn by men going to work in imperialist aggressorcountries,” His only interests were in increasing the profit for the capital of North Korea. Fifield (2015).

Here, Zayla shows proper use of brackets.  She's modifying the quote to clarify who Mr. Kim is for her reader.  She also has a signal phrase.  However, she needs to eliminate the space between the opening quotation mark and the bracket beginning the quote, and change the double quotation marks around "imperialist aggressor" to signal quotes.  She also should have a period at the end of the quote after "countries" and not a comma, since that sentence is done.

Additionally, looking back on Chad's draft, I realize there's one place of potential discrepancy.  Here is the excerpt from his draft:

He supposedly thinks that if he presents this complicated debate that has been raging for years as having an “obvious” answer, the reader will be comfortable forming an opinion on this “simple” subject.

I think the quotes around "obvious" and "simple" should be removed, because they aren't actually direct quotes from the article, and instead are used to mock the author's beliefs.  However, I'm not entirely sure if that is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment