Thursday, October 29, 2015

Analyzing Purpose

I've begun considering what I want to say specifically and how I want to add to the issue of Tucson's drought preparedness.  I need to figure out what the purpose of my public argument will be.  Since this is a pretty narrow issue, there's not a lot of dialogue already out there, so I have a bit of freedom in terms of what I can contribute, which is helpful.

Tucsonre. "Saguaro Sunset." 7/19/10 via Wikimedia Commons.
Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

The goal of my public argument is to get Tucson to change its drought plan to make it more comprehensive.  I've decided that I'm going to pick the audience of the Tucson city council, so I'll be addressing who would consider rewriting the current plan.  I need to prove at least that the current plan isn't suitable.  I'm still unsure as to if I could offer a clear solution, though.

The most plausible reactions to my public argument are either that 1) nothing changes, or that 2) the plan is revised.  The extent to how much the plan is revised will depend on my convincing my argument is, and how much money it might cost to spend time changing the plan.  It's not very plausible that the plan would be rewritten entirely, or be able to prepare for what might happen in 100 years, because that's not reasonable, and we don't even know what will happen in 100 years.  It is however, more plausible to change it to something that plans for what could happen more like 15 or 20 years in advance, instead of just 5 to 10, which is what the current plan seems to be capable of handling.

The effects of revising the plan could be raising more awareness of the problem, in ways such as realizing what's happening in California is a pretty accurate depiction of what could happen to Arizona in the near future.  Depending on how the plan is revised, other effects could be how Tucson allocates water, or how much water residential areas and companies are allowed to use.  The public might be required to reduce their water consumption either immediately, or sooner and perhaps more severely than was originally planned for.

I've already identified the audience I want to address.  It would be good if I could find out specifically who wrote the current drought plan, and if there is some kind of existing committee that deals with these issues.  It would be helpful to become more aware about the specific people in the city council involved, to narrow down the audience further.

No comments:

Post a Comment