Friday, October 23, 2015

Narrowing My Focus

Since I collected a variety of questions, I need to narrow down my focus to something manageable and specific.  Overall the topic I will be looking at is how Arizona has prepared for drought.  The main question is, What steps have been taken to prepare for water shortages in Arizona (specifically Tucson)?  To answer this question, I'm going to have to answer a few more questions that I came up with in the last post.

XcepticZP. "Arizona cap canal." 3/25/08 via
Wikimedia Commons. Public Domain License.

The first question is What are the water rights concerning the Colorado River and other major water resources for Arizona?

I know from my basic knowledge about water rights in the western part of the US, it's based on seniority.  Arizona doesn't have high seniority, so we will be one of the first states to lose water rights, and therefore our water source will be greatly reduced.  Understanding this in deeper detail is important for knowing how lowering water levels will affect Arizona, and will explain the need for Arizona to have backup plan.

The second question is How has this issue been discussed in the political realm?

It's really important to understand how how the political sphere has prepared for water shortages, because they have jurisdiction of the water.  I need to investigate how local political figures such as the mayor and city council people are passing regulations that relate to water shortages.  I know that Tucson has some water stored, but I don't know how long that will last, and I don't know how far in advance the local government has planned for.

No comments:

Post a Comment