Tuesday, September 1, 2015

My Major: Environmental Science

US Geological Survey. "4." 3/4/09 via Flickr. Public Domain Dedication License

I am a freshman at the University of Arizona majoring in Environmental Science and minoring in East Asian Studies (Chinese language).  Here, I will explore the core concept of environmental science, and what a career in environmental science entails.

Environmental science takes science fundamentals in biology, chemistry, physics, ecology, hydrology, and soil and natural resource sciences, and applies the knowledge to finding environmental solutions, while also taking into account economic, political, and ethical factors.  Environmental science studies the interrelatedness of all these factors in regards to how humans interact with and affect their environment.

Throughout my undergraduate education, I will learn water and soil analysis, US and related foreign policy concerning environmental regulation, and public health issues.  I will study ongoing issues such as pollution, water contamination, and unequal distribution of natural resources.

People who have studied environmental science find careers in education, government, industry, or consulting.  Like for many fields, some people use their knowledge to teach at a university or college.  Some people find a career in any level of government (local, state, federal) and work on policy and regulations relating to the environment, natural resources, or health.  Finally, there are careers available in industry developing technology, or consulting with businesses on environmental issues.

I have always been interested in environmental science on a basic level – going green, recycling, reducing consumption, finding sustainable solutions.  However, I never really understood deeply what environmental science meant until I was in high school.  When deciding on a major, I discovered the interdisciplinary perspective environmental science, which further intrigued me.  I look forward to the diversity of sciences I will learn and the strong science background I will develop.

The Environmental Protection Agency is a huge force behind environmental science in the US currently.  As a federal agency, they work on environmental regulations, drafting policy, and protecting lands and resources.  They search for solutions to a vast array of problems, from water pollution to waste, emergencies, and cleanup.

Working at the EPA requires people to cross careers and disciplines: lawyers must work with scientists to understand the mechanics of the issues, and both types of workers perform under administrative and political forces.  This kind of diversity in people and skill sets is a reflection of the nature of environmental science itself, and is something I am drawn to.  Additionally, the EPA is such a large agency it has the capacity to incite critical change.  EPA covers most divisions of environmental science, as well as serving all of America geographically.

Academic journals cover many different disciplines of environmental science.  The leading journals are published by well-known and respected names.  Some of the journals with the highest impact factor include Environmental Health Perspectives, Energy and Environmental Science, and Review of Environmental Economics and Policy.

Environmental Health Perspectives is published by Public Health Services, which is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services.  As their name suggests, they publish articles about health crises and problems in the US caused by environmental factors.  These issues include prenatal care, illnesses, and national emergencies, such as oil spills.

Energy and Environmental Science is a UK journal published under Royal Society of Chemistry.  Their focus is on energy storage, alternative energy, and energy consumption, with regards to chemistry, physics, and biology.

Review of Environmental Economics and Policy is published under Oxford University Press.  This journal is a research translator, translating the academic world of environmental and other sciences into terms and context those outside the academic sphere will understand, while still retaining scholarly quality.


REFLECTION
I knew theoretically that there would be lots of diversity in college, especially since UA is such a big university.  But being able to actually see and interact with people of so many different interests and majors is really an awesome experience.  It's only the second week of school, and already I've talked to people from all sorts of colleges, who all have different plans with what they want to do after college.  Even though I'm in CALS, I'm still really interested in politics, feminism, and other social justice issues, so it's a great opportunity to be exposed to people outside my field of study that share some of my non science related passions.

From what I've read of my peers' blogs, we all seem to be in an exploratory phase, trying to figure out what we want to do, and what our majors will look like in reality and practice.  I think we all have ideas of what we'd like to do with our degree, but still have lots to learn.

Replies:
Grace
Gabee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lia! I'm a student in CALS too. Before reading your post, I didn't know that someone with a background in Environmental Science could do something like consulting. I also found my major (Nutritional Science) intriguing because of the many different areas that someone could work in. We definitely need people like you in our communities to protect the things that matter most!

    ReplyDelete