Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Identifying Basic Grammar Patterns

Part of the revision process is reworking the syntax to make sure everything is grammatically correct, and that the writing contains various sentence structures.  Here, I've analyzed a bit of my QRG, identifying the different parts of speech, phrases, and sentences.

Through analyzing this chunk of text, I cemented my knowledge of what a direct object, indirect object, and transitive verb were.  I had heard of those things before, and knew basically what they were, but it was good to read a definition and see examples.

I also found it helpful to identify different phrases or types of words by looking for words that preceded the phrase.  For example, it was much easier to spot subordinate clauses by looking for words such as that, which, or when, like Rules for Writers suggested.

The types of sentence patterns that Rules for Writers had were different from the ones I had learned before.  The sentence patterns I had previous learned revolved more around using specific punctuation to separate different clauses.  The patterns in this book were based only on the types of words/phrases used.

I'd like to spend more time understanding verbal phrases, such as participial phrases and infinitive phrases, because I've never really heard of them before.  And as I mentioned previously, I'm not good with infinitives or infinitive phrases, so I'd like to get better at recognizing and correctly using them.

As a note, I analyzed two paragraphs, because due to the nature of a QRG, paragraphs are short to allow for white space.  Because of this, no paragraph on its own was long enough for this assignment.

AnonMoos. "Basic constituent structure analysis English sentence."
9/14/14 via Wikimedia Commons. Public Domain License.


https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M9zNMaNeerPndoP3Nr0uzz8wT2NIjjitAJj9S4IAOFQ/edit?usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment