Thursday, December 3, 2015

Revisiting My Writing Process

To start planning my final project, I've begun reflecting on my earlier writing for this class; more specifically the first two blog posts I wrote.  I think my writing style has changed throughout even this semester, and my time management has as well.

WokinghamLibraries. "Creative, Writing, Editing, Library."
5/8/13 via Pixabay. Public Domain Licence.

When I first wrote "My Writing Process" I thought that I would rely on peer review much more than I turned out needing.  In this class, I found it most useful to talk to the instructor mostly to make sure that I was on the right track and answering the prompt of the assignment, which initially I usually wasn't.  I've also found that I've kept a lot of things from my first drafts, especially with Project 2 and 3.  I think this shows that I'm becoming a stronger writing because what I produce from the start is of much high quality than it was for Project 1 or previous writing projects from high school.

I still believe that I'm a sequential writer, but the writing process is a significantly less daunting task than it was when I started this class.  I find now that I have to spend less time on each of the writing steps.  I am able to think and plan more effectively, and that allows me to draft quicker and write things of higher quality.  Overall, this means that I'm more efficient, which has also helped my time management.  I remember that I spent many hours on Project 1, and had to revise a ton for my final draft, because my first draft didn't really follow the conventions of the genre.  However, for the later two projects, I didn't have to spend near as much time completely rewriting and restructuring sections.

In terms of time management, I have generally been able to stick with my plans of working on deadlines earlier, so I don't have to do everything in only a couple days.  This has really allowed me to help plan out my ideas and writing for projects, which makes it easier to do the actual drafting.

I'm not sure how much writing I'll be doing in Environmental Science.  I know I'm taking a lot of science classes which won't demand the same kind of writing vigor as this one, but that of course doesn't mean I won't have to write again.  I'll probably be writing in different genres, but now I know how to write in a genre I'm not familiar with.  I think this class helped me realize that writing a paper or a project isn't such an insurmountable task, and that as long as I follow my planning and drafting process that I've been doing this semester, I'll be able to handle it, which is reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment