Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Calender Reflection

Lee, See-ming. "SML Notebooks/20090903.10D.52443/SML"
9/3/09 via Flickr. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License
It’s a tad overwhelming to see how much time homework and classes take up.  I originally thought I would have a couple free hours each day.  In actuality, although I will have a bit of time for myself, most of my day will be spent working.

Yes, this is daunting.  Even though I attended an academically rigorous high school, I’ll need to work harder in college staying focused and productive.  But it is reassuring to know I will have time to get everything done.


I understand how Harry and Ron felt entering their 6th year at Hogwarts.  Suddenly, they were given this beautiful gift of extra hours between fewer classes – but they weren’t as free as they initially seemed.  I’m spending less time inside the classroom, but that time will be made up for in the library.  Of course, Harry and Ron had magic to make life better.  And also Hermione.


Wow are we all stressed.  It's surprising to me that it seems most of us were under the same impression, that we would have lots of free time, but then realized most of it will be taken up by homework.  Why weren't we prepared for this?  Is it because movies and entertainment give an unrealistic picture of what college is like?  Why didn't all those college tours we took say something about the huge time commitment class alone would be?  There's been a lot of focus on clubs, groups, events, and general "college experience", but not a lot on the false allure of free time.  This assignment seems to be a real wake up call for all of us.  That being said though, I think some of us may be panicking too much, in a knee-jerk reaction to this news.  It's hard not to freak out, but the general hysteria coming from these blogs is probably not necessary.  Hopefully over the next few days we can all calm down and understand this all is possible, despite the work.

Replies:
Betsy
Michaela

5 comments:

  1. I love the Harry Potter comparison, I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way. College is a lot different than high school and I'm also going to be spending much more time in the library doing homework than in class. It's very overwhelming, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In high school we would have more time in school and less out of class but that also meant you could get a lot of your homework done in school, or you would not even have as much homework. Now it's different and will be slightly challenging to adapt to. I think I've been thinking that I will have my classes then be done with school for the day but I realized a better way to look at is to think that it is like high school, the same amount of time devoted to school. It just now is more on the student to get their work done than for the teacher to make them get their work done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right from the beginning, you hit the nail on the head. The homework/class combo can be a little much at times, especially when seeing it for the first time (as in this case). The Hogwarts comparison was uplifting; Harry, Ron, and Hermione always seemed to have at least a little fun in the library! Loved your reflection, it really put a lot of the posts into perspective. In our first week of college, there's so much to take in all at once that it seems a little overbearing.

    I agree, however, that once we take a deep breath, anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to being in an academically rigorous program in high school and thinking that college can't be any harder. Whether its harder or not, it's definitely a different challenge. College comes with its own twists and turns and adjusting to it will take some time. I believe we all can do it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    You may not know me, but based on your writing I think I have learned a lot about you and your schedule. I just have a few follow up questions regarding your post.

    1. Have you resolved any difficulties regarding your schedule since the creation of this post?
    2. Are you better adjusted to the college time constraints and the overall work load than August?
    3. Do you feel that you have a strong ability to create quality work under a time limit in contrast to the beginning of the semester, or do you feel that you have the same skills and writing style?

    ReplyDelete